Friday, July 13, 2007

Farewell Barcelona

My travels to Barcelona are over. ouch. I can't say enough how awesome my stay was in that city - probably my favorite place that I've ever visited - the people, the city setup, access to the mediterranean, amazing architecture, etc. etc. I stayed almost a week after my program concluded, met up with my parents and did some of the touristy things I missed during school. Also went up north a bit on the coast and did an amazing hike along the water - photos coming soon (today). Also hit up the Barcelona Cathedral (again), Camp Nou - FC Barcelona's stadium, the Palau de la Música Catalana, and the Magic Fountain show at Montjuic - all were amazing. It was really weird doing all these things during the day - it seemed much more like my first week than my last week in the city. I had gotten so used to just living in the city, and not seeing the sights, that it was shocking when each day was packed full of things to do and see - though I'm not complaining. Also got to hang out for a day with my spanish friends Eric and Andrea - two of those Guardian Angels I was talking about.

I am now sitting in an internet cafe in Granada - today we checked out the Alhambra - an incredible fortress/palace - for those who aren't familiar, it was a compound of the Moors - one of the last srongholds in southern Spain before the Catholics conquered it. Beautiful gardens, intricate designs - so much to see there, I took plenty of pictures. Anyway, I'm going to post those pictures while I'm at this cafe, and then maybe check out the cathedral in the city - however, the air conditioning in this cafe is quite refreshing - its 40 degrees outside (104 fahrenheit)...southern spain is hot.

Oh and one last thing, if I learned one important thing while in Barcelona, it is this:
Catalonia is not Spain. Look into the history, the culture, and you'll see what I mean if you don't already know.

-Matt

No comments: