Saturday, July 21, 2007

Paris - wow.

Paris is simply unbelievable. I feel like I've walked down all the streets of this city with my mouth half-open, amazed by the buildings and incredible architecture that line the streets, as well as the unique feeling of ambience the city gives off. I've taken tons of pictures here (and as I edited in a post a few back, I won't post anymore until I return home - don't want to waste my last days here uploading photos), but even when I take them I feel its almost pointless - photographs cannot do this city justice.

After taking my walk that first night, I've revisited the things I saw - went up the Eiffel tower, into the Louvre, into Notre Dame and around the Arc du Triomph. All were incredible - the inside of Notre Dame was stunning, and the Eiffel tower is simply brilliant - so intricate that it's insane to think of the construction process. The Louvre, I did see the Mona Lisa, but thats more like seeing people take pictures of the Mona Lisa. I was only inside the museum for about an hour, and one day will return to it (as well as many other things in the city). I think the outside is just as brilliant as the inside. I always knew it was big but it is REALLY big - it just keeps going and going.

On Friday, I met up with my friend Lisa from back home, who had just finished a study abroad program. We went about with some peop;le from her program - took a boat trip down the River Seine, went to a photography museum, then the Louvre for a bit, and finally had a picnic dinner with her program directors and all the kids in the program (12 or so) right on the Seine - there were loads of other people doing the same thing. A really good time, relaxing, eating bad food we bought (well not too bad), and drinking good wine.

Bottom line, I feel comfortable saying that Paris is the most amazing place I've ever visited (I think I previously said the same thing about Barcelona, but have obviously now changed my mind). Every step you take when walking around the city is not to be taken for granted. Gorgeous buildings and parks everywhere. Everyone lounging out at cafes - many times just how you imagine Paris. I hope to return sooner than later.

-Matt

No comments: